Long Island City

Sites

A. Pinnacle Basin
C. Available Light Corridor

D. Coptic Bamboo Forest

E. (Apostolatas) Sunny Gates

F. Sano Island

G. Beebe Ave Borderlands

H. Windmill Community Garden

Neighborhood History

In 1643, as European settlers arrived and seized lands from indigenous peoples, the land today know as Long Island City, Queens was “granted” by Governor Peter Stuyvesant to the Dutch Reverend Dominie Everard Bogardus. For several decades the site near the mouth of the Newtown Creek and East River was known as “Dominie’s Hook”, until it was purchased by Captain Peter Praa in 1697. At the turn of the 19th century, many of the nearby sites were transformed into an active homesteads.

Following Captain Hunter’s death in 1835, the land we know today as Hunter’s Point South was sold to Jeremiah Johnson who razed the central hill and used the soil and debris to fill in adjacent waterfront reefs, extending the land by several acres. Over the following decades, Long Island City was industrialized, making way for the Hunter’s Point Ferry terminal, and manufacturing operations such as the Standard Oil and New York Sugar Refinery, the New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company, and several paint and varnish works.

In 1910, a Long Island Railroad connection to LIC rendered the Ferry terminal obsolete, signaling the gradual decline of industry in the area. By the 1970s much of the industrial activity had ceased, factories were razed, and the land left dormant for nearly two decades. In 2001, the neighborhood was identified by the city as a growth area and was rezoned for residential and commercial development. Since that time, developers have built 32 hotels, 86 planned or completed residential buildings, and 9 planned or completed office buildings redefining the city’s skyline and displacing many communities.